Friday, September 3rd, 2010
I'm a big fan of fruit desserts because usually they're light and don't make you feel that guilty...although it depends on how much sugar is in there. This dessert is waaaay better than jello and is all natural. It's not too sweet but it's sweet enough to tame that that sweet tooth. Plus, the Calpis and fruit go really well together.
3 cups + 250 ml of water
1 10 gram stick of kanten
1/3 cup + 1 Tablespoon (80 grams) of sugar
100 ml Concentrated Calpis
2 white nectarines
3 large strawberries sliced
1. Boil the water and add the kanten and sugar. Mix until dissolved.
2. Pour the kanten, sugar mixture through a sieve and cheese cloth to strain.
3. Add in the calpis and mix.
4. Pour the contents of the bowl to a baking dish. I used a 9 x 12 x 2 inch pan.
5. Slice the fruit and put enough so that you'll get some fruit with each serving.
6. Cover and chill overnight.
7. Cut into squares or use a cookie cutter.
Break the kanten in half and add to the boiling water.
Add in the sugar and stir until the kanten and sugar have dissolved.
Strain the mixture to get out any pieces of kanten that haven't dissolved.
Add the Calpis and give it a whirl.
Pour into the baking pan and add the fruit.
Use a spoon to get rid of the bubbles while it's still warm so you don't have ugly bubbles on the surface.
Chilled overnight. The strawberries add a splash of color.
Served and ready to eat.